Burry Port harbour was built around 1830 to replace the port at nearby Pembrey. Burry Port was the centre for exporting coal from the nearby valleys, but the area is now a marina for recreational use.
Burry Port Lighthouse is situated on the west breakwater of the outer harbour. The lighthouse was built in 1842 in association with Trinity House. Initially the annual upkeep (£32 in 1844) was met as joint expense between the proprietors of Burry Port Harbour and the Commissioners of the Burry Navigation. However, in 1845 the Superintendent of Burry Port Harbour reported that buoyage dues not exceeding 1d a ton had been regularly charged since the passing of an Act for the ‘Improvement of the Navigation of the Rivers Bury, on 2 July 1813.
In 1995-6 the lighthouse was restored by Llanelli Borough with the support of the Burry Port Yacht Club, with Trinity House donating a new light. The restored lighthouse is operated by Carmarthenshire County Council and was formally opened on 9 February, 1996. The reflector system is housed in a 24ft high white painted circular stone tower with a black gallery and red lantern. The current white flashing light is visible for fifteen miles and is now an important landmark for the Burry Port Yacht Club and the Burry Port Marina. The lighthouse is accessed via the breakwater.
Burry Port, Carmarthenshire