The Cathedral at St Andrew, Fife, Scotland was founded to supply more accommodation than the older church of St Rule. The remains of the older church include a 33 metres high square tower, located on what became the cathedral grounds. The Cathedral dominated the history of the medieval church in Scotland from its construction in the 12th century until the Protestant Reformation in 1560. Work began on the new cathedral in 1158 and continued for over a century. The west end was blown down in a storm and rebuilt between 1272 and 1279. The building consisted of a central tower and six turrets. This photograph is of one of the remaining turrets at the East gable.
St Andrews, Fife, Scotland